Intense Pulse Light (IPL): Does It Work For Spider Veins? | Shens Therapeutics
Living in sunny Singapore, it is often common for individuals to get out of the house and head out for some fun in the great outdoors. While it is common to wear shorts and swimming suits, there is a prevailing cosmetic condition that holds many individuals back. Thus, making them feel self-conscious about the visible parts of the body that they can’t necessarily always conceal. Yes, as the title suggested, today we will be talking about spider veins.
In many cases, spider veins are simply a cosmetic concern that can occur in both men and women. This condition is hallmarked by red, purple, or blue networks of veins close to the skin’s surface. They often resemble tree branches or their namesake of spider webs. The spider veins may occur in small or large patches, which are commonly found on the legs, chest or face.
Although this cosmetic issue can happen to both genders, it is noted that this condition is much more prevalent among women at the later stage in life. Unlike varicose veins, which can bulge from the skin and occasionally lead to more serious issues, the spider veins are typically harmless and do not require medical treatment. However, that does not mean that everyone has to accept it or live with spider veins affecting their overall aesthetics.
With that, do you know that spider veins can worsen and get darker over time if left untreated? This also means that spider veins would not go away naturally. If you’re looking to explore options that will help eliminate these unwanted veins, the Intense Pulse Light (IPL) treatment at Shens Therapeutics might be the solution you need!
Before we delve deeper into learning more about how the IPL treatment can help reduce the overall visibility of spider veins, let us take a look at the common causes of spider veins.
Summarily, spider veins are damaged veins. We tend to develop them when tiny, one-way valves inside the veins weaken. In healthy veins, these valves push blood in one direction — back to our heart. When these valves weaken, some blood flows backwards and accumulates in the vein. Extra blood in the vein puts pressure on the walls of the vein. With continual pressure, the veins wall weaken and bulge. Hence, in time, we would see the spider veins beneath our skin.
Other than the above, the following would be the other aspects that would increase the chances of spider veins from occurring:
- Heredity (If you have family members that developed spider veins, you may be more likely to get them as well.)
- Pregnancy (The increased volume of blood you’re carrying during pregnancy creates significant pressure on your blood vessels, it can cause small veins to swell.)
- Ageing (As our age increases, it also increases the chances of overall wear and tear on the vein valves which are used to regulate blood flow. Thus, an increased chance of veins swelling and bulging.)
- Sun Damage (The sun can cause spider veins by breaking down collagen under the skin and blood vessels right beneath the surface of the skin. The sun’s exposure causes the veins to pop up on noses and cheeks, often on fair-skinned individuals, which can receive more sun than other parts of the body.)
- Obesity (Carrying excess weight puts extra strain on your veins. The excess pressure can cause your veins to bulge.)
- Long Hours of Standing (Individuals with jobs that require them to stand for most of the day may have a higher chance of developing spider veins on their legs. Being on your feet for prolonged periods causes your veins to work harder to pump blood to your heart, which can lead to the development of spider veins.)
- Chronic Venous Insufficiency (This happens when your leg veins don’t allow blood to flow back up to your heart. Thus, causing the blood to collect in your legs.)
Shens Therapeutics’ Intense Pulse Lighting (IPL) Treatment for Spider Veins
While there are several treatment options available in the market, the IPL treatment remains one of the most popular treatments due to its effectiveness and having no downtime at all. With that, you may be wondering how IPL helps to reduce spider veins? And, here are some insights!
How does it work?
During the IPL treatment for spider veins, also known as telangiectasias, the light generates heat in the veins. This causes the walls of the vein to collapse and form scar tissue (don’t worry, the scars are hidden beneath the skin). Eventually, these veins will be reabsorbed by the body and fade away after several weeks.
In general, IPL affects the lower layers of the skin rather than the top. This allows it to reach deeper structures, like the spider veins, without burning the surface of the skin. Similar to other laser devices which are used to treat spider veins, the IPL device can also produce different types of pulsating lights. The light from the IPL device can be used to target and treat different vein and skin conditions. With multiple treatments four to six weeks apart, the spider veins should fade and become less visible.
As there is no downtime, you will be able to resume your normal activities immediately after IPL treatment. However, it is important to note that the ideal skin type would lean towards the fairer skin as light is attracted to melanin. This means that individuals with darker skin would not be advisable to do IPL treatments as it would discolour their skin tone.
Individuals looking to learn more about how the IPL treatment at Shens Therapeutics can help you reduce the overall appearance of the spider veins, feel free to contact our customer support team via our social media (Facebook & Instagram) or WhatsApp.
You May Also Like
- Acne Complexion
- Anti-Ageing Essentials
- Best Medispa Instant Brightening Treatment Award
- Body Contouring
- Body Sculpting
- Double Chin
- Fat Loss
- Fat Melting
- Gold Facial Treatment
- Her World Award 2021
- Her World Spa & Wellness Awards 2021
- Indiba Bodyslim
- Indiba Deep Care
- Indiba Proionic Treatment
- Indiba System
- Indiba V Face
- IPL VS Waxing
- laser and IPL skin rejuvenation
- Medical Indiba
- Prevent Sagging Skin
- Radiant Glow
- Radiant Skin
- Reduce Blemishes
- Reduce Fine Lines
- Reduce Spots
- Reduce Wrinkles
- Skin rejuvenation
- solutions to stretch marks
- Stabilise Skin Condition
- Stretch Marks
- Tighten Pores
- Tummy Fat
- Ultra 24K Gold Face Therapy
- Visceral Fat
- Water Retention
- Weight Loss